Pages

Thursday 24 January 2013

Issues-Important Or Interesting?

The idea for this post has been floating around in my head for a while now, but it was the last few days that it really started to become a big thing for me.

Looking around at various other blogs, there appear to be mainly two types:- ones which are predominantly (auto)biographical, and ones which deal with ideas or issues. In my head, I think of them as 'professional', as people read them pretty much to find out what person x thinks about whatever issue, whether or not that person is known to be an authority, or indeed actually paid to know about those particular issues. Now, obviously, there is no reason why a blog can't be both, and indeed, quite a lot are both; but, as a general rule, most of them seem to be predominantly one or the other.

And this goes just as much for ones by Christians, as you can see by looking at some of the links from this blog. I'm still working on exactly what sort of voice I want my blog to have and be; what I want it to say and why, but so far, it has appeared to be mainly a biog-which really wasn't what I expected when I started it. I kind of thought I'd be talking a lot more about ideas and issues-something along the lines of 'here's something that people are thinking about, and here's my take on it' sort of thing. And, although I have done that a bit, it hasn't really been a large focus of the blog so far. Most of the 'issue' posts (like this one) have been about something personal to me. Not that others can't understand them, otherwise there would be no point in me doing them, but they definitely haven't been inspired by things in the news or that I've seen or heard lots of people talking about. I remember a couple of posts by a friend, like this one about the new Archbishop here, where I thought 'hey, maybe I should say something about that', and then didn't. Obviously.
And what I've been thinking recently is whether that really matters either way. I mean I do have opinions on some/most of these things, and I'm not worried about sharing them. Although I do think that most people who really know me have some sort of an idea of what I think about the issues-and if they don't, they (should) know I'd be happy to tell them if they ask. But I don't think anyone is really that concerned about wanting me to write on particular issues-or not, as the case may be. No-one wants me to force myself to write on particular things just because they're in the news; they may well be quite happy to read about something else at that time. However, if you really do want me to write on anything in particular, let me know. I can't say I definitely will, it's possible I don't have an opinion or know what to say; but I promise I will definitely consider any suggestions.

And so I still don't know quite how this blog is going to continue, but I do know that it will continue. And I hope you will continue to visit; so we can find out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment