Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

Painting and Praying

Well I got home on Monday to find things moved around in the flat, and painters rags covering other things up. I wasn't totally nonplussed, because I did know my landlords were planning to have the place painted, but I didn't know when. So I checked the phone to discover a couple of messages from them, one asking if I could get in touch with them to say when would be convenient, and one saying that as I hadn't got back in touch with them, they'd booked the painters in anyway. As it happened, this week was actually pretty convenient, as I'm still working full time hours, so I'm out most of the day anyway. Apart from Tuesday, which was my day off; so I had to think about what I was going to do then.
And on Tuesday, I had decided that sleep was important, so I didn't set my alarm, and just got up whenever and spoke to the painters. They were working at one end of the flat, so I quite happily stayed at the other end and read for a bit. After a while, they came and had lunch and we chatted; and, after, I carried on reading and went online for a bit. Until they finished for the day at about 4, when they cleaned up and left shortly before 5. And then I left to go to ALPHA, where I was helping with the catering. You'll no doubt be pleased to know that doesn't involve me cooking in any way-that's pretty much finished before I get there. I just help with the clearing up, and, this week (because we were short), I helped serve food. And then sat around chatting (and prayed a bit), until it was all over. When I went down the pub. Not on my own, I would like to be absolutely clear, but with a few others. Thankfully, most of the racegoers had gone elsewhere by then, so we were pretty much on our own-all 12 of us. So a bit more chatting ensued, and I discovered another friend of mine was a painter of a different sort-though she insists she's not very good. We shall see at some point, I hope.
And on Wednesday, I was back at work, so that meant I didn't have to concern myself with the painting. Except that I'd arranged to meet up with a friend to pray, and had to rearrange it to be at his house. With wet paint around, I figured it would be better if I went out, rather than inviting someone else over. But that was simple enough, and it meant he cooked for me. Sweet potato, mmm. So we chatted about all sorts, from 'The Young Ones' to the effect thoughts have on life. Not positive thinking, but the idea that tohughts can actually have a direct effect on others people without being vocalised. I hadn't really heard of this before, but, as we discussed it, we realised that there was a lot of power in thoughts that we hadn't considered before, and that isn't really considered much among Christians. But it probably should be. No, make that definitely.
One of the things I prayed about was whether I should go out on the streets to pray. As it was Race Week, some people in church thought it would be a good idea to go out on the streets each evening, and chat and offer prayer to anyone passing. And just see what God did. Anyway, I felt He wanted me to go out on Thursday. But before that, I went to a friend's house in the evening. She had arranged to have a Skype conversation with another friend who is currently in Canada, and invited a few people round. I was the first to arrive (which is probably the first time that's ever happened), because I had to come straight from work. So I got to watch 'In the night garden', as her daughter was teething and needed to be cheered up. And then other people arrived and we had our Skype conversation, and then prayed for Lydia, and then went our separate ways. I got home and grabbed something to eat, before going out to the meeting place for those about to pray. And no-one was there. So I went into church, where we have a weekly prayer meeting, to discover some people just about to set off. So I joined them. In my group was someone from Bristol, who was in Cheltenham working, and knew about our church-she goes to a church there called Woodies, which works with us. Anyway, we went out, and after one short conversation with a guy with a leg in plaster who was quite happy to chat, but definitely did not want to be prayed for-I've never seen anyone move so fast-we got onto the High Street. Where we almost immediately stopped by someone who knows me-who I hadn't seen for literally years. Which was really nice. She invited me to her baptism in three weeks time, which I'm looking forward to, and asked us to pray for a friend of hers. And the friend she was with, who doesn't believe in God, was quite happy to allow us to ask God to bless him. She did get a photo taken of us all, but I haven't got a copy. Yet.
Well, that was clearly the highlight of the week, but I did go out Friday as well. A friend texted and asked if anyone was up for going into town. Apparently no-one else did, but we had a good time. Yes, the pub was fairly full, but not crowded; and it was good just to relax and chat. Nice. Saturday I stayed in-probably a good thing I didn't even try to get to the A.S.E.T. dinner, as I was so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment