Pages

Friday 29 November 2013

Mainly Men

So, after a week off, how did I fare back into the real world, as it were? You know, with schedules and things. Well, actually surprisingly well. Quite often I don't feel rested after time off, and could do with another couple of days, but this time I felt great. I was actually feeling ready for work and quite well enough rested this time, which surprised me. But obviously nothing much had changed in the world of work, but I had an unexpected theme arising in the evenings.

Monday evening was an event put on by the men's ministry at church-such as it is. Which at the moment isn't really anything. The reason for this is that the guy who used to lead it has now gone off to train to be a vicar, and the leaders decided they wouldn't do anything straight away; but would ask the men what they wanted out of the ministry. Which is what the meeting was all about really. First, we talked about what it means to be a man, and then a Godly man; and then we were talking about what sort of things we wanted to have which would help us become more like that. A bit, anyway. That came right at the end-deliberately. They wanted us to think about what we thought we wanted to be/should be, before anything else. With that in mind, they wanted us to go away and think about what we thought would help us achieve that and email them. Which reminds me-I still have to do that.

Tuesday was Alpha as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary there. But Wednesday was small group, and instead of the usual small group, we had split into men and women. I was in the men's group, if anyone is unsure. Apart from having 'man snacks' instead of cakes, it wasn't actually that much different. Except that I listened a lot, and didn't really talk much. Not exactly what I usually do-so much so, it was actually remarked on. Someone asked why I was so quiet, and I said it was because I didn't have anything to say. Always better to keep quiet in that case, I think. 

And on Thursday, I also did something a bit different. Instead of going to a prayer meeting, which I could have done, I spent time with a friend. Just chilling, chatting and watching a DVD. We watched 'Green Lantern', which isn't as bad as you may have heard; but almost certainly won't have a sequel. Anyway, we just had a nice, relaxing time. Which was great.

Friday was probably more relaxing. I say that because I can't actually remember doing anything that evening. At all. And that brings us to the weekend, which was pretty good, all in all. After work, a friend came round-this one female. You know, that's why the title's 'mainly' men. It was good to see her, as I haven't seen her properly for ages. She had about an hour or so spare in between the sessions at the Third Person conference. Which was apparently absolutely fantastic, and the podcasts are apparently just as powerful. I intend to check them out.
And after she had gone, I got picked up to go to a party. It was a friend's 30th, which he was sharing with another friend of his; so they'd hired a venue in Gloucester and invited loads of people. And there were certainly a good few people there. It was a great night, I think, celebrating with him, and catching up with some people I hadn't seen for quite some time. The place was all decorated out with Marvel themed wrapping paper and balloons-and he got given Marvel monopoly as a present. Not from me. I went for a simple option-chocolate. I couldn't think what to get him, so I decided to see if I could get 30 different chocolate bars. You know, what with him being 30 and all. Which is one thing I did do on Friday actually-go and look for them. I did manage it-sort of. I think there was a Wispa and a Wispa Gold, and a Mars and Mars Caramel. But I'm sure he didn't mind that.
And then on Sunday, I relaxed. Which is what I think is a very good weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment