Pages

Sunday 29 December 2013

Christmas Eve To Boxing Day

Christmas Eve was a long day, because I was working in the morning; so I was there from 9. I did wonder if it would be worth opening, but we did take about double what we took on the Monday. However, it was still quiet enough that I managed to watch a lot of T.V. clearly enough to remember. I saw most of 'The 'Gruffalo', and a children's version of  'A Christmas Carol' (with a robot called Robert), which ended in a huge party-so that's two this year. I also watched a bit of the Jim Carrey version, which is strange, because it's live action, but it looks kind of animated.
Anyway, I finished there about 1, and then went into town to finish my Christmas shopping. Hardly surprising, as I'm a bloke, and we're not allowed to be that organised. Actually, it wasn't that difficult, as I'd bought most stuff already; I just needed to buy a couple of other things for most people, and a lot of things for my niece. And, with the exception of my niece, I got most of the things in one shop. So, after that, I had a quick drink in Costa (where there appeared to be another new member of staff), and then went home. Where I then spent some time writing this post before going on facebook for a bit. And then I went to church, for the midnight Communion service. Which is one of my favourite services in the year. I like it because it's quiet and because it leads into Christmas, but mainly because of the atmosphere. It's a more thoughtful (and thought provoking) service than the standard ones. My absolute favourite is whatever happens on Good Friday, which is different every year, but that's also more thought provoking than normal. It's also good cos I get to see people I don't see that often, as people who used to live here come up to visit family. So, after that finished, I got to wish several people 'Happy Christmas' pretty much right at the beginning of the day. Which was nice. 

And so I got up the next morning ready to celebrate Wednesday *CHRISTMAS*!!! Which I think is worth celebrating. but my housemate had gone off to his parents, so there was no-one around-until my sister came to pick me up. But what with all the other things I had to do to get ready, I hadn't managed to wrap the presents. So my sister offered to do most of them, while I wrapped hers. Which took us about the same time. And then we went off to see the rest of the family at my mum's-and then all decamped to my sister's. Don't ask, because I don't know. I was told not to ask, so I didn't. And then we started the big event of the day, unwrapping presents. Or at least my niece did, and the rest of us caught up in a bit. A few hours went by, during which I saw some of 'Tangled', a splendid film (which reminded me of a couple of people) and I prayed a bit in the kitchen. Just because that was the only empty room at the time. And when my sister's bloke got home from work, we had food. Which was nice. And relaxed for a bit, before going back to my mum's (well, me and her, anyway); where I had more presents to unwrap. I was hoping for books and socks. I didn't really get many books for Christmas, but I did get gift cards; so there may well be more books arriving in my house before too long. And that took us to a surprisingly late time of evening; so that was pretty much it fo the day.

And thenwe get to St Stephen's Day. I know nothing about him, except when his feast day is-the day after Christmas. Which was a lazy day, because I could be. I got up late and didn't do anything much until the evening, when we went round to visit friends' of my mum, who always have a little something on this day. Which was brilliant as always. Nice and relaxing and fun and great company as ever. And plenty of food. More presents were exchanged, and I got another gift card; so I will definitely be buying something soon, though it may not be books. Who knows?

So, that was my Christmas time. And on the Friday, before going home, I managed to write a poem...

No comments:

Post a Comment