Pages

Sunday 3 February 2013

And Then There Was One...

Well, this was a most unusual week; my flatmate finally left for Great Yarmouth on Wednesday. Wherever that is. As he has been here for several years (8? 9? I honestly can't remember), it was a bit of a shock to think that he's actually gone.

He left at 9:30 in the morning, so I stayed in my room until he'd gone. But I wasn't really sleeping. For some unknown reason, I woke at about 8, and couldn't really get back to sleep-I sort of drifted in and out for a while. So I could hear him going about his business with packing and stuff; and it was surprisingly emotional. Among other things was shock that it was actually happening, and kind of a sense of loss. Oh, alright, I'll admit it-I'll miss him. He's a nice guy to be around, and Great Yarmouth is a bit of a distance.

So I went to work as normal, cos, you know, I had to, and I don't really remember anything much about that. I'm guessing it was a pretty ordinary day-a lot of them are. And then I got back in the evening, and the place felt strange. Not that he's usually in at that time, he would often be at work, but somehow it just felt different. Thankfully, I didn't spend the whole evening on my own-a friend of mine came round to pray. Which was particularly good, as I could do with the company at the time.
So, we chatted and prayed, and had strawberry flavour cider. Which tasted like strawberries, unsurprisingly. I couldn't really see why they called it cider at all. Nice, though-I recommend it. And then tried to figure out meeting up again. It looks as though I may well be quite busy most evenings over the next week or so, which will probably be good, as I won't be able to think about things too much. I have a week off coming up, which I'm trying to work out some things to do to fill. Interesting things-I don't just want to fill it for the sake of it, I want to do things I actually want to do. Like play 'Risk'. That's probably my favourite board game, and I don't get to play it much-mainly cos even a short game takes several hours. If you play the full game, it could be a very long time. But if I've got the time off, then that may well be the time to go for it.
I was originally intending to be out Thursday and Friday evenings as well, but I ended up being too tired. And now I'm starting to find things are beginning to look slightly different. I'm starting to see the positive side of being able to do what I want to do, but I know that that will only be an advantage in the short term. The landlord wants to redecorate a bit before getting someone else in, but I hope I'm not on my own for too long. I know that's not good for me-I'm perfectly capable of not talking to anyone else for days if that happens. Which I know isn't good for me. But in the short term, change isn't a bad thing, and it's good for me to remember that.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you'll have company over the weekend! Although I'm aware we can go for days being in the same room not talking, it's a companionable not talking.

    ReplyDelete