Pages

Thursday 14 February 2013

Folk, Folk Music

This weekend was notable for two reasons-first, that it was the weekend of Cheltenham Folk Festival, and, second (more importantly to me), it was the first day of my week off-I usually work Saturdays. I had a few days holiday left before the end of the financial year, and as my manager is on holiday abroad for most of March, February is better for me. Plus my birthday is in half term, so if I take it off then, it means I should be able to see my sister and niece and several friends who are teachers. It is also quite convenient, because my best friend ususally comes down for the Folk Festival, so it meant I would be free all weekend. So that all worked out well then.

I left work on Friday with the knowledge that I wouldn't have to go back for another 10 days, and went to meet a couple of friends. Neil, who was staying with me (yes, we have the same first name; it's not deliberate, honest), and Alli-someone who, although local, I still don't see that often. Which is a shame. She was attending a conference that evening by Freedom In Christ to help her help others. As she's a social worker, I'm sure she'll find plenty of opportunity to use what she learned. Anyway, it was good to catch up with both of them, and we had a meal together before going our separate ways. I then relaxed a bit at home beforee Neil got back at about midnight, and we chatted for a couple of hours, as well as me doing my last blog post.
And then the weekend started properly. Unfortunately, it started with me being ill, so it was particularly good that Neil was here, as I'd arranged for someone to bring me round a new washing machine. Not just on a whim-the old one had stopped working, and he figured it wasn't worth repairing. If I'd been on my own, it would have been that much more difficult to get up in time for him. But it was managed-unfortunately, however, I missed meeting Alli for lunch. I was kind of feeling like I really didn't want to leave the house at all that day, but another friend who I haven't seen for months got in touch to say he could get over to Cheltenham today, but probably couldn't during the week. So I decided to make the effort to wander down to town and see him. It was good to see him, and I got to see something of the Folk Festival as there were some free gigs in various locations around town. I saw a duo in Rise, and Sam Holmes in Costa, where we went for drinks a bit later-and where I managed to drop my drink. However, the staff were very lovely and made me a new one free of charge and brought it to the table. Nice of them. And on realising there were so many free gigs, I did wonder whether people I knew could get in next year.
Sunday was similar, in that I again had to get up early ish to get to church (and avoid my landlord), but I wouldn't have managed it anywhere near so well if Neil hadn't been there. I left later than I intended, but I got there-just in time for communion. I was feeling almost well again by the end of church, and then when I got home, I fell asleep on the sofa. I was supposed to meet Neil in town to catch a bus to Alli's (and Darren- and family), but in the end, I had to get a taxi. Which was probably for the best, as I really wasn't sure I would be able to walk that far, feeling like I did. So that was managed, and then a good evening was had by all, despite the fact that Darren wasn't feeling much better than I was. So he spent most of his time upstairs with their oldest boy, building a Lego tank. Which was pretty impressive, when we saw the finished article. Alli gave me a card and present (pear cider, very nice)-and also sent me a text actually on my birthday, which was a couple of days later.
And then on Monday, Neil left in the morning, to go and spend time with his family, and I didn't get up. Well, I did in the end, but it was a lot later than I had hoped. Didn't do much that day, apart from arrange with my mum and sis them coming round the next day-my actual birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment