Pages

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Moving Out, Moving On, Settling In

I have been very busy over the past week or so, what with moving house and all. So, to go back to the end of  last month, as I was doing the last bits of packing, and my mum was cleaning and telling me what to do. I was quite surprised at exactly how much cleaning there was that could be done; and, also, exactly how much cleaner the place could get. I'm certain it ended up cleaner than it was when I arrived; and it definitely had the right effect, in that I got my deposit back from the landlord pretty much straight away.

So, the next day was moving day. My new housemate came round to help move all my stuff from my place to his, while my mum was still working on my room, and at some point, I cleaned the oven. Not something I ever want to do again if I can manage it; but I guess that'll be one of those things that has to happen every so often. And so, between us, we managed to move everything from one place to the other; and I found time to sign the contracts and get the final readings from the meters, and then, I had to phone my landlord, and let him know that I'd moved out. On top of that, I wrote a poem inspired by what it could mean for me. And I also found about 20 stamps to go to the Donkey Sanctuary. Completely, totally exhausting-and I was only moving down the road.

I remember looking around at some point when almost everything was out of the place, and thinking how different it was. It was quite sad, but also quite wistful, in a way. Sort of like I could see a whole load of potential for things to be discovered. Thinking about it, it's kind of what I should be thinking about life now I'm in the new place. I don't know what's going to happen in this new place, but I'm looking forward to finding out. One thing I'm sure of, though, is that I won't be as passive in this place. To a certain extent, I'm confident that there are more opportunities here-but, mostly, I will have to go for them to a certain degree. And I aim to try. And keep trying.

Being in the new place was very different. For a start, it's a lot nicer than where I was before. I didn't think I was particularly bothered  by this when I there, but now I am here, I can see the difference in how I feel. For instance, I'm much happier with the idea of inviting people round-which is a very good thing, considering we're hoping to do that a lot. When we were speaking about moving in here, my housemate said he thought God wanted him to be hospitable and pretty much have an open house. I felt that would be A Good Thing in my case, cos I'm very much capable of spending far too much time on my own if I don't have to be anywhere. I think it will be good for me to be in an environment where people will be coming round often. i'm looking forward to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment