Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Bank Holiday Busyness (!)

We've just had the first May Bank Holiday weekend, and, surprisingly, it was quite nice all weekend. So, obviously, I spent most of the weekend inside. And hardly saw anyone.

Not that I particularly dislike the sun as such (more that I just don't mind it), nor that I didn't have anywhere to go - things just worked out that way. I was working on the Saturday as normal, so I was quite tired; so I didn't go out in the evening either. I was invited to a barbecue, and I was told some friends had gone to the Cheltenham Jazz Festival, but I really didn't feel like going anywhere at that point. So I didn't. I stayed in and read and wrote a blog post and stuff.

And, because I'd had a couple of tiring days, I didn't get up that early on Sunday, either. I was invited out to the Jazz Festival again, but again I didn't feel like it. So I read for a bit. And then I was struck by the thought that my team was probably on duty at church that evening. But I wasn't sure. So I had to check online, and because my computer was playing up, it took me a while to find out that was the case. About 5 minutes before I was due to be there. So, what with one thing and another, I got there 10 minutes later than I should have done. But at least I now know when the next date definitely is, so hopefully I'll get to that one on time - or even early, who knows?
Church was fun - and, you know, not being ill made it much better. I ended up on the bookstall again, which kind of surprised me; and this time, I actually sold things. And met someone new called Alice, who's just moved back to Cheltenham after a couple of years in Malawi. Being on the welcome team means you might get to meet new people. And after clearing up, I went down the pub. Which was nice. Had a nice chat with a bunch of friends, and a couple of interesting things came out of that. One was that I discovered a friend is moving round the corner from us soon - she's not sure exactly when - and that led to a nice chat about theology and the like. It also came up that another friend is thinking of moving, and may well move in with us, which will be nice - he's a good guy. But the most important thing that happened was that I somehow got myself agreeing to do a sponsored walk sometime in the summer. It won't be that long; certainly less than 10 miles. It's to raise money for Hope for Justice, and it's called the Zoe Challenge. Have a look if you want to find out more; maybe you could sort out a walk for yourself as well.

Monday being the Bank Holiday, I didn't have anything to do except relax; so I did that. Then I realised I had to go into town, so I went and did what I had to do, then decided to go up and wander around the Jazz Festival. As I got there, I walked past an acoustic stage where a band was playing, so I watched the rest of their set, which I really liked; especially 'King of the Swingers', which they finished with. I then wandered around the main arena, where I met a few people I knew, including a couple called Stuart and Jade. They were with a friend of theirs, who they were trying to persuade to come on an Alpha course; and I tried to persuade them to come. I hope they do; it will be good to see them around again. I then went home via Grumpy Whiskers, where I got one of their waffles (mmhmm); and, when I got home I felt I should ask if anyone wanted to go to the cinema, now I've got my unlimited card. So I did that, and ended up going to see Spider-Man with Rhys. In 3D, which I wasn't planning on; but at least that now means I have a pair of glasses for the future. Anyway, it's a really good film, and I recommend it. And they showed a trailer for Godzilla, which definitely looks worth seeing. A good start to my year of films, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment