Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

Tweeting Or Twatting!

I joined Twitter earlier this year, on God's insistence; though, to be fair, I haven't really done much with it. But I thought I'd share a few thoughts about it anyway. Recently, I read this post and an article saying how it is on the verge of disappearing, which made me think.

It's been about almost as long as Facebook, and it's essentially easy to use; so, if it is going to disappear, why would that be? For the record, I don't think it is, nor do I think Facebook will. But, what is the difference?

The most obvious difference is that, due to it's format, it doesn't appear to have any ads. Which is kind of puzzling, cos you have to wonder how they can support themselves. The other main difference is that it is both more immediate and less social than Facebook - which, if it is shrinking would probably be why.

It's obvious why it is more immediate, but not quite so much why it is less social. The reason being, because of the limits of what you can put on there, you can't exactly have a conversation. Which ends up making it very self indulgent. There's not really any way you can develop a thought; you just have to say something and get it out there. Which makes it brilliant for advertising or publicity of any kind; but not so good for building relationships.

A bit like having a conversation via text tather than an actual phone call (remember those?). Which is why it should be remembered to be very careful what you say, because not only do the people who read it only have those words to go by; you don't even know who your readers are, necessarily. So, remember, more tweeting, less twatting - and by that, I mean both not hitting people over the head with your words, and not being a twat. Though I can't stop you.

Just my thoughts and musings on the matter. So, to finish, I'll give you this joke, which took 5 years to come to fruition...

No comments:

Post a Comment