Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2012

DESTRUCTION!!! Part 1 (Eve of Destruction!)

Well, another weekend when I was busy. Very busy this time. This time I was down London way for the third Destruction Fest-a Christian metal festival put on by a church called Glorious Undead, who have a particular desire to reach out to those in that music scene. They are linked to the Elim network, and work together with St Michael's, Camden Town, where they are based.

I first heard rumours of a planned D-Fest several months ago, which was exciting, as it's by no means a regular occurrence; the last one was three years ago. They do them every so often, as they are not a money making venture-the last one was free, and this one was to raise money for a local homeless charity, where they pledged to double whatever money was raised over the weekend. So, it's not something they feel they can make a regular feature in their calendar. I guess that's the reason, anyway.
So, quite a few people I know were at the least intrigued when these rumours started circulating, rumours which quickly became confirmed fact. So I knew I wanted to go, and a couple of others who might want to go as well, so it was just down to whether we would. I talked about going for quite some time without doing anything about it, until I got to a point where I just had to make a decision. So I spoke to one of my friends, and said 'so, are we going or what?'-nothing like passing the buck when it comes to decision making. Anyway, the upshot was that we decided we would go, so we left it that he would book us somewhere to stay in London. There were a couple of practical reasons for this. one was that he is much better with computers than me, so I expected he would do it no problem (whereas I would probably procrastinate-no, make that definitely); and second, at that point, he wasn't sure exactly when he would come down, or if he would stay for the whole weekend, so it made sense for him to work that out, and then let me know what he'd sorted. And it had the added advantage that, if he was doing that, I could assume that it was happening, so I wouldn't change my mind. Probably. So, I booked the time off work (you know, quite useful to know I could go), and then pretty much forgot about it. Until just a few weeks away, when I realised we hadn't sorted anything definite out. It got slightly more complex on each side when we each found other things to do that weekend-some in London, some not. So, after a couple of frantic couple of phone calls, we finally worked out where we would be staying, and (important) where it was in relation to the places we wanted to go over the weekend-4 in total. And then I realised I hadn't done anything about sorting out transport, with less than a week to go. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to get to London-seems quite a few people want to go there. The only slight difficulty was that a friend wanted to show me a church in London, and I'd said I could do this weekend and then hadn't heard any more about it from her. Were we going or not? How long would I need to stay in London? (As it turned out, probably longer than I did.) I booked my ticket there, so at least I knew I could get there, and then I was ready. As ready as I ever am, anyway.

So, on Friday morning, I got up bright and early (well, alright, not early); and got myself ready. I had plenty of time, so I left the house with just enough time to catch the coach. Well, actually plenty of time, as it was late-not that that mattered much as I had about 4 hours to play with at the other end. And I still managed to arrive late to the prayer meeting which kicked the whole weekend off. But, at least I HAD ARRIVED...

No comments:

Post a Comment