Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

What I didn't do at the weekend.

Well, I know I said I don't go out much, but as of Thursday eve, it looked like I might be having a very busy weekend this one just gone. Shame it didn't quite work out that way.
On Friday, I could have gone to a talk about climate change by a local group with links to Christian Ecology Link, which sounded interesting. Saturday I was supposed to be watching a couple of friends torment themselves with (very) hot chillis-I may have even be persuaded to join them. And I was reminded that I was invited to lunch with some friends, after which we were intending to Skype a friend in China Sunday afternoon. So, what actually happened?

Well, I went out Friday evening with the best of intentions. I was quite looking forward to the talk, even though I felt so tired I could well have fallen asleep, but I couldn't find it. Seriously. It shouldn't have been that difficult, but for some reason, it was. I wandered up and down the street a couple of times, but didn't find anywhere obviously being a venue for a talk on climate change. I was actually quite irritated-not so much because I didn't get to go, but because it shouldn't have happened that way. And I'm now slightly bothered as to where this venue actually is. Maybe I'll find it one day. Saturday was a similar story, in that I was fully intending to go, but didn't get there-this time, I didn't even leave the house. I got home from work (admittedly going via Costa), and then fell asleep. That wouldn't have been so much of a problem, if I'd managed to get a lift-I did ask a friend who lives round the corner, but she got taken ill and couldn't go out. So, it would have taken me about an hour to get there. That's the problem when you don't drive-things take so much longer than they otherwise might. Anyway, I was tired, and really not up to a long journey. So I didn't go. Shame. By all accounts, much amusement was derived from seeing them change colour after they ate the chillis. And I missed it!
And on Sunday, it was a bit up in the air as to whether I would get out in the afternoon after my landlord said he was coming round to pick up the rent cheques. Which could have been any time from about 2. I did think about going along earlier and then getting back here for 2, but it's a good thing I didn't, as he actually came about quarter to 2. Which is pretty much unheard of. I can't remember a time when he's been early before. So, then, I had the important decision of whether to go and catch up with what they were up to. And God told me to stay in and pray for a bit-thankfully they weren't expecting me. So, that turned out to be quite relaxing, just spending time with God. My flatmate was out, so there were no interruptions, and I could just kind of sit. With God. Which was brilliant-I definitely recommend it.
So, was that it? Did I actually go anywhere that weekend? Well, yes actually-Sunday evening I went to an event called Seek His Face, which was set up by a couple of friends. Other friends. Although they mostly know each other. The idea is for people from different churches to get togeher and worship. Together. It's been at the same place the first couple of times, but the idea is it will move around. The next two are pretty much planned already-come along if you can! Anyway, I went along and worshipped. On my own. And I wasn't the only one doing so. I looked round occasionally, and saw most of the people around the walls pretty much spending time with Him on their own, though in company. God was there in a most powerful but gentle way-at least for me. It was kind of an extension of what I was doing in the afternoon. I can't remember asking him anything or Him telling me anything, but I was very aware that He was there. With me, around me, in me. Always. I'm definitely looking forward to the next 'Seek His Face' event.
So, what did I learn from that-apart from that it's alway worth spending time with God. Just that things don't always work out the way you plan, or even think they might; but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just a thing. There's an old Jewish saying quoted by Woody Allen-'if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans'-and, if that's the case, I need to remember to hold on to things loosely.

No comments:

Post a Comment