Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Giving-Without Caring

The idea for this post came about shortly after Destruction Fest (see 2 previous posts), as a result of two things that happened that evening. The first was that on my way home one day, I saw a new Big Issue seller who I hadn't seen before, and I really didn't want to stop-I was completely exhausted-so I didn't. And thought about that most of the way home, as much as I was thinking about anything. The second thing was reading this post from a friend who was also at the weekend, about his experience, and what he remembered about the weekend.

So, giving, what about it? And I don't just mean money, but time, and practical help as well. What about it? As far as I can see, there are two ways to think about it-certainly only two that I am aware of ever thinking, though I often think about it in both ways. The first is that we should give, both because we have more than we absolutely need, and because in some vaguely not-quite-defined way giving is good for us. And the second is that giving should arise naturally out of us, that we only really have to think about how to do it best. Some background to the second is that as we grow closer to God, He changes us to become more like Him in character. We give because we want to more and more often, and we also become more aware of the need around us, even actively look for needs to fill. The problem with this is that it doesn't work. What I mean is not that we don't fill (some of) the needs we see, but that that isn't enough. Clearly; there is still need around us.
And the background to the first way of thinking is that we are told to. Not only do we find in the Bible that giving is always talked about positively, and that God loves a cheerful giver; but, more importantly, we are commanded to love everyone. Starting with God, and then others and ourselves in equal measure. However, it seems that nearly everyone has a problem with that most of the time. I know I do. And, all too often, when this is talked about, there is a vague sense of guilt hanging around. Either of feeling we are not doing enough, or that we could be doing more. Or both-the two are different. The first is looking around and seeing need still there; while the second is just knowing when we have reached our limits. And we will reach our limits before all the need is filled. At that point (preferably before), we should step back and rest, recover our strength, and then step forward again. Otherwise, we will collapse and become part of the need, and so making it bigger. Indeed, in the verse where we are told God loves a cheerful giver, we are told to do it 'not reluctantly or under compulsion' (2 Cor 9:7). We need to know our limits and exceed them rarely-there will be occasions to do this, but it should never become a pattern.

And so back to me, because of course it's all about me. Well, maybe not, but ideas need to be grounded in real life, or they remain (almost) unimaginable. So, two more images. The day after that, at a Bible study group, we were talking about helping vulnerable people, and ways we could do it. I used to be part of a group which went out in the evenings and gave out sandwiches and tea/coffee to people on the streets, which I have taken a break from, and started thinking seriously about going back. I needed a break from it, but I now know I will go back. And the following Sunday after a talk that was introduced as being about evangelism but actually talked about compassion practically, I had a long chat with a friend who I met through going out on the streets. When we met him, he was in a really bad way, but due to many people in the church and God (his words, more or less), he has sorted himself out. I don't lay claim to being a good person, but things I have been involved with have changed people's lives for the better. But there is still need. There always will be, but I can do something. And doing something is better than doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment