Pages

Monday 24 June 2013

Art, Music And A Picnic

And so we move on to June. Skipping ahead to the second weekend, cos that's the first time that anything worth talking about happened. It was actually a fairly busy weekend, but also quite relaxing.

Saturday evening I went along to an art exhibition in Montpellier Gardens, as part of the Cheltenham Open Studios fortnight. This is a regular occurrence, and as you may guess, most of them are in individual artists' studios; none of which are in the gardens. So why there? I guess it was because some artists are either unable to have visitors come round, or think they're too far out to get many visitors. Anyway, there were about 8 artists of various kinds in the Gardens Gallery, which is where I went. It opened a few days earlier, but mostly when I was at work. I also work Saturdays, but then it was open to 7-and what was even better about that day was that it was the 'preview', so some of the artists were there as well.
So, after doing a couple of things in town, like buying a birthday card and present for a friend, I wandered along up there. I really liked what I saw-it's a small space, but it was used well. As full as they could get it, but also leaving plenty of space to see everything. There were a couple of sculptors and a jewellery maker who were occupying the corners, and then there were paintings on all the walls. In different media and styles; but also covering a variety of content. On one side, there were portraits, then landscapes and abstract pieces in the middle, and on the other side, mainly animals-big cats, wolves, foxes and others. That was what I liked the most. I also liked the jewellery, and I will remember her for future potential presents. Then I got a text from a friend to say he and another friend were on their way, and they came and had a look round too. And, after that, we wandered off back to mine, and had tea in the garden while watching the sun go down-at least until it started getting a bit chilly, anyway. Then they went, and I relaxed and read for the rest of the evening.

And on the Sunday, I was invited to a picnic in Pittville Park to celebrate a friend's birthday. I don't have picnics anywhere near often enough, in my opinion, and it was certainly a good reason for one. And the weather was wonderful-bright and sunny, but not too hot. I got there a bit late, cos that's what I do, generally (people wouldn't know what was going on if I arrived on time), and joined the other picnickers. There was a silver band playing that Fiona, the birthday girl, had been in, so they played an old favourite hymn of hers, and embarrassed her by playing 'Happy Birthday'-which she refused to stand up for. And, also, presents and cards were given and opened. And it seems she is well known, as most of her presents were books. One on physics and superheroes (called 'The Physics of Superheroes'), and one on being a godly woman (I think). Oh, and there was also a cake that was in the shape of either a lion or a hedgehog, depending on who you ask. Very tasty, too. Anyway, time went on, and we had to pack up and head off to the pub, before church. Definitely, we absolutely had to. So, we had a quick drink, and then off to church. Which was, you know, as loud and enjoyable as usual. After church, we saw it was someone else's birthday, and I restrained myself from pointing her out to have 'Happy Birthday' sung at her for the third time that day. And then we went back down the pub-well, where else would we go? a fine end to a fine day, in my opinion...

No comments:

Post a Comment