Pages

Wednesday 5 June 2013

CELEBRATIONS - Farewell and Welcome and Happy Birthday and, finally Goodbye

Well, the title for this post is fairly self explanatory, I think. Lots of celebrations that came in the same week-actually following on from one another. Starting on a Thursday...

A couple of Americans I met in January, Ruth and Rachel had come over to study at the University of Gloucestershire for one semester, and that semester was now over. Which was a shame. I mean, obviously, things change and people move on, and that will be good for them; but they will be missed here. They're lovely people and will definitely be remembered. And so, it was decided to have a proper celebration to see them off. Any excuse for a party, right?
Put together in a bit of a hurry, cos that's the way we roll round here. Starting off with going to the Kashmir (a favourite indian restaurant-I definitely recommend it). Can't remember whose idea that was, but there was no chance of any disagreement, especially as I'd recommended it to them a while back, and they hadn't managed to get there before. And then, following that, we went on to the pub (that would be The Conservatory, a favourite place to go, cos it's right next to church-can't accuse us of trying to be different in any way); where a few others joined us. And at some point, a card and presents were given, so they will never forget us cos we wanted to, you know, say goodbye properly. One of them was an ornament of a squirrel, which will always remind them of us, because they seemed particularly amused impressed by the way we pronounce the word (you know, properly).

And then, on the next day, another excuse for a party; our house-warming party. It was originally going to be the next day on the Saturday (which would have been the first Saturday we were both free); but when I started inviting people, I was reminded of another party going on that night that I'd been invited to. Always the same-nothing to do most of the time, and then two things on the same night. Steve was away for most of the week, but thankfully I had been asked to open up the shop, so I finished early; which meant we had plenty of time to sort everything out for the party. About the only thing we weren't sure of was who was coming, as almost no-one had given definite replies. Though, as that's pretty much usual, we weren't worried. I was a bit amused that the first person to arrive was the one who'd travelled the furthest (i.e. another county). Anyway, quite a few people turned up; and a good time was had by all. I even got a present, though it wasn't, technically, a housewarming gift. When Ruth and Rachel went to Edinburgh, I recommended they try Edinburgh rock, which they did-and, very generously, bought me some too. Very nice of them. They also brought their parents-or, at least, one of each.General merriment continued until the eary hours, finishing with Steve playing worship songs on the piano for the few who were left. I have no idea how that happened.

So, on Saturday, I was very tired, and just wanted to relax when I got home. But I had said I was going to the birthday party of a couple of friends; one of whom doesn't live locally, so I definitely wanted to go. Which meant that I got there later than I could have done, but the party was still in full swing. I got to see some friends I hadn't seen for ages, and watch some of them do karaoke. Some of them even did it well; and, again, a good time was had by all. There were even quite a few who were going off clubbing after that-I was invited, but I figured it wouldn't be a great idea-if nothing else, I had to be at church at 11 the next morning cos I was on duty. Which I did manage.

And, after church in the evening, there was another, more informal celebration. It was the last day that Ruth and Rachel were actually in Cheltenham; and, therefore, possibly the last time we'll ever see them. So, going to the pub after church was a little different. For one thing, there were a lot more photos taken. Though not by me, or I'd be adding them. A lot of chatting and laughter went on; happiness was the order of the day, it seemed. Which you might have thought was surprising, but then, there's a lot of happiness around Ruth and Rachel. They're both very positive people, and they seem to bring that out in others. Pretty much any others, it seems like. And so, I say again, they will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment