Pages

Thursday 17 April 2014

Thinking About Noah (And Other Films I Haven't Seen)

I almost saw 'Noah' on Wednesday. I fully intended to go with some people from my small group, and got as far as the box office, only to discover it was full. Some may say that was a good thing, as the reviews I've seen haven't exactly been positive, even describing it as 'blasphemous' or 'heretical' - like this one (which is actually one of the better ones I've seen). However, what really makes me unlikely to see it is that people I know haven't given it good ratings - the best description I've heard was 'it was alright, but at times it was a bit like a sci-fi movie'. And that's the best. So, I'm unlikely to see it.

But, you know, I thought I'd write a bit about it anyway. An idea which was inspired by two things - this blog post and an article saying there is talk about a remake of the 'Left Behind' films with Nicolas Cage starring in it. For those who have never heard of the 'Left Behind' series, it was originally a 12 book series about the end of the world - and what happens afterwards.
The reason for the title is that, according to a particular interpretation of parts of the New Testament, at some point there will be an event referred to as 'the Rapture'; where all Christians will be taken up to Heaven, while things on Earth go through a time called the Tribulation (the capital letters are important) before Jesus returns. I have always had a problem with this, because it just doesn't seem to make sense, in that the early Christians wouldn't have read the books in that way; and I really have a problem with the idea that 'the Rapture' happens before the Tribulation. Because it simply doesn't seem to be the way in which God usually operates, in that it isn't anything like His usual pattern to remove Christians from difficult circumstances. He usually works through us in them, as well as in us.

So, I'm far from convinced that 'Left Behind' represents an accurate idea of what the future might hold. Which, knowing at least one of the authors takes it seriously, makes it difficult for me just to enjoy it as fiction. And, as there are 12 books, I almost certainly would give up before the end. So, I don't think I'll read or watch any of them. But, and this is important, God has definitely used them powerfully. They have been bestsellers, and the films made by a small company have been successful enough to be considered by a major company. And, on top of that, many people have become Christians and/or got serious about the faith they had, and serious about the Bible. Not something that many people would have guessed would happen, or at least not to the degree it did.

And that's not the only 'Christian' film in recent years. As well as ones like 'The Passion Of The Christ'* (apparently the most controversial film of all time because of the graphic depiction of violence) and 'Amazing Grace' (about William Wilberforce and the abolition of the slave trade); there are also a fair few lower budget ones, like Courageous and Fireproof. The latest of these being God's Not Dead, which has just been released. Only in Odeon cinemas in the U.K. though, so I'm unlikely to get to see it, which is a shame - I actually want to see that one.
And all of them have two things in common. There is a fair bit of attack and mis-information (with the possible exception of Amazing Grace), and all of them have been surprisingly popular. It seems as though God may well be doing something in the world of cinema. Which, in a sense, shouldn't surprise anyone - He's definitely a God of surprises; one who likes turning up where He wasn't expected.

So, what can we learn from this? One is to never try to fit God into a box; it never works, and we run the risk of missing what He is really up to. But a second is to respect and encourage creativity. If we disagreee with what has been produced or think it's not good enough, that could be a challenge to us to do it ourselves, and do it better. Any ideas..?

*Note 'The Passion Of The Christ I have actually seen - and liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment