Pages

Wednesday 29 January 2014

A Week Of Celebrations

Last week, I worked out I was out 7 out of 9 evenings. Which being as I'm an extreme introvert, probably wasn't the best decision I could have made, and it was exhausting. But it was also a great week, and I'm not sure I would have done anything differently if I could redo it.

It all started with a flatwarming party on the 18th (also, coincidentally, my mum's birthday) for someone in my cluster. She's actually been there a few months-I know because I helped her move in (a bit)-but this is the first chance she's had to relax since, as she was in 'The Sound Of Music' in December. Anyway, that going on, someone figured it might be a nice idea if some of us got together before and went out for a meal. So we did. We went to Bar and Wok, which I would definitely recommend. A nice time was had by all, and I discovered I'm not as bad at using chopsticks as I vaguely remember being. And then we went to the flat warming, which was fun. Spending time with people I hadn't seen for a while, lots of catching up and nonsense conversations; and, a bit later, some more serious conversations. With lots of laughter throughout. A most successful evening, I feel.
And then, the next day started way too early for my liking really. As I work Saturdays, I generally like to take it easy Sunday mornings; but, some friends of mine were having their daughter dedicated that morning, so I went along. I always like going to those services, especially as I get to catch up with friends I otherwise don't see for ages at a time. It's the first time I've seen Phoebe Cowe, who I have to say looks very like her mum, and appears quite good natured-though you'd have to ask her parents for their take on matters, being as they're the ones who are currently missing a lot of sleep.

Tuesday, my usual day off, was the next day I did something. As I couldn't meet up with my mum any earlier, we spent the day together. Which was nice. A bit odd, in one respect, though, as we ended up getting my birthday present, even though mine isn't for another couple of weeks. We also sorted out meeting up again with my sister and family for a meal, and talked about having a family photo done. Oh, and for those of you who are wondering, I did get her a present as well.

Wednesday evening was cluster, and it was the second session on 'How Do I Make My Life Count'. It was about belonging and community. Which is not just important, but basically vital. It's almost impossible to grow as a person withour people around you to support you and encourage you. And, you know, just in case I haven't mentioned it before, I know my cluster is definitely a place where that happens. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. But I'm definitely becoming more open through being part of it; and building relationships, both old and new. Which is definitely a good thing and a God thing.

Thursday evening I didn't go out anywhere, not even Street Teams-I don't do that every week now. Which was probably a good thing, but then Friday was a friend's birthday celebration, so I was out again. It had a bit of a strange start, as we were supposed to meet in a particular pub at 8, so I figured I'd get there a little after that. I arrived at 8:15, and I was the second one there. And the other one wasn't the 'host', as it were. In fact, she didn't turn up for quite some time after; quite a crowd had gathered before she turned up. Never mind, though, she got there, and a good time was had by everyone. Catching up with people I hadn't seen for a while, and getting to know some people a bit better. Lots of chat and laughter went on until I was surprised to find it was almost midnight-and as I had to be at work at 9 the next morning, I really thought it was about time I got home. So I walked home with a friend who lives near me, as of a couple of weeks ago; which was nice. And proably didn't go straight to bed and sleep, I can't really remember, but it doesn't seem likely.

That was 5 of the 7, and the following weekend was another two. But to be honest, I don't really remember those two evenings, as I was far too tired to really focus. Bit of a shame, but there it is-I really need to remember that I am an introvert, and therefore don't deal well with large groups without time to recharge. Led to some interesting times of prayer, though. Oh, and one other thing that deserves a mention is that a relationship with a friend that almost completely broke down last year is well on the way to being restored, and this week was good for that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment