Pages

Thursday 2 January 2014

Looking Back - And Forward

This post is a bit late really, as it's looking back at the first year of doing this blog-which happened at the end of September. Though that's not actually a bad thing, as it gives me a bit of time to reflect on what I've done with it and learned and what I'd like to do; because I really had no idea when I started. About all I knew for certain, apart from than that God wanted me to do it (and one reason for that is that I can write, therefore I should, as much as possible), was that some/most of it would be autobiographical. Indeed, the first post is all about me. Sort of. It's clearly, looking back, very hesitant, with some (poor) attempts at humour; but, still, quite a few people have read it. Maybe just out of curiosity because it was the first post-but they did read it.

So, looking back, what has this last year held, and what has the blog become?
Well, it's fairly clear what the year has held, because, as I thought would probably be the case, most of it is autobiographical. So you just have to look back over previous posts to see some of what I got up to and what happened (to me). Not all of it, because when I was particularly busy, I didn't really have time to write as many posts as I wished I could have-and when I was in feeling low I didn't write many posts either. Which is why it isn't as regular as I might have hoped, though I can't really say I'm surprised at that. I am almost surprised that it's kept going, as persistence has never been one of my strong points; but I know God has helped me in that-and most of the time, I've enjoyed writing it. And enjoyed people's comments when they've given them.

Is there anything that stands out to me over the past year?
I'm not sure that there's anything about the blog itself that stands out to me, but a few of the things I actually did do. For instance, when I started, I didn't realise how often I would see performances of various things. I think that's actually another instance of God's sense of humour-I've always liked theatre, but I haven't seen that much of it in the time up to starting this, and then several things in the one year (and a bit). The other thing that I guess stands out is the fact that I wrote about various church services. I mean, I go to church generally at least once a week, so there's plenty of material there; but, there are ones I've written about which are a bit different, in various ways.

And is there anything that is surprising, particularly pleasing or disappointing about it so far?
To be honest, there's not actually that much that's surprising, because I didn't really have any expectations when I started it. But one thing that has really quite surprised me are the poems. Partly the fact that I wrote poems at all, because I've been struggling with that over the past couple of years; but also the fact that so many have ended up as posts-here and here, for instance-and have been popular. One of them is currently the most viewed post on here. I'm quite pleased that there have been quite a variety of topics, some very unexpected. the things I have been most disappointed in are that, generally, it still isn't viewed that much; though more than it was. And, also, that my post with the lowest number of views is the one about my birthday celebrations. I really hope that this year's one is better read-especially as it's a big birthday.

Given all that, is there anything that I will change going forward?
I'd love to be able to say that I plan to do 10-15 posts a month every month, or that I intend to write about a whole range of particular subjects;, but I know that won't work. If I plan too far ahead and something goes wrong (which it almost certainly would-the one thing you can predict with certainty is that the unpredicted will happen at some point), then I would struggle to get it back on track. I am amazed at people who manage to blog almost every day. So, all I will say is that I definitely intend to continue, and I will certainly try to blog more often. But other than that, I can't say. Watch this space, as it were...

And what am I looking forward to this year coming up?
Again, not something I would like to go into great detail on, because I just don't know yet. one thing I can say I'm looking forward to is my birthday celebrations, because, as I said, it's a big one this year. But mainly just more of what was good about this year continuing-I intend to write a post sort of about resolutions at some point, so I may discuss this whole thing there. I'll probably have more of an idea by then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment